Your domain name is your website address on the internet and gives you an online identity or brand. It's a valuable part of your business identity and is an important marketing tool that can help customers find and identify with your business.If you wish to buy a .com.au or .net.au domain name, you must be a commercial entity and have either an Australian Company Number (ACN) or Australian Business Number (ABN). For more information go to the .au Domain Administration Ltd (.auDA) website.
Tomtech IT offers domain name registration service, however, we do recommend that our customers purchase domain names directly and retain the management of these to ensure . We can assist you in the process.
Tips for a domain name:
- Website and business name should be the same, this adds credibility and respect to the website
- Keep it short and simple
- The longer it is the more difficult it will be for users to remember or write down correctly
- It is preferable not to use aconyms
- Make your domain name unique, you do not want to confuse your site with competitors
- Brainstorm keywords that are related to your website, you may be able to obtain these as additional domain names and direct them to your main name
- Plan for the future, don’t restrict your name to a single product or service
- Register the domain name in the correct global or country level domain
- Don’t use Hyphens or numbers, they are hard for people to remember and you lose customers through frustration
- Check your name for embarrassing word combinations
- Don’t follow trends, just because others may use unique spellings of names or add in slang doesn’t make it a great idea or easy for your customers to remember
Domain name registration does not mean you also receive hosting services, these are two completely different things.
Check that you are not infringing on an existing trademark or other name that belongs to another company, check with an ABN registry http://www.abr.business.gov.au. Because it is available does not give automatic right of use. Check the trademarks register http://www.ipaustralia.gov.au to make sure your proposed name does not clash with any other registered mark, as these owners have the right to stop you using your brand.
com.au and/or .net.au To be eligible for a com.au or net.au domain name, registrants must be:
- an Australian registered company; or
- trading under a registered business name in any Australian State or Territory; or
- an Australian partnership or sole trader; or
- a foreign company licensed to trade in Australia; or
- an owner of an Australian Registered Trade Mark; or
- an applicant for an Australian Registered Trade Mark 1 ; or
- an association incorporated in any Australian State or Territory; or
- an Australian commercial statutory body
Search and register a .com.au or .net.au Internet domain name today.
.org.au and/or .asn.au
Available for registration by "non-commercial organisations" only. To be eligible for a org.au or .asn.au domain name, the registrant must be;
- an Australian incorporated association
- an Australian political party
- an Australian Trade Union or organisation under Workplace Relations Act 1966
- an Australian sporting or special interest club.